Saturday, April 1, 2006
Not of this world 


[Backdated Thursday, 2nd March 2006 11:39 PM]

"As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." - John 15:19b

Working in the corporate world has shown me how radically different I am from my colleagues.

Two weeks ago at a team meeting, we were asked to draw a storybook of our lives and share about what movie represented our lives, our birth place and (sigh) horoscope, our family and what we hope to be in ten years. Everyone shared lofty ambitions of a jet-setting lifestyle with big houses, big cars and big mah-ney.

And me? I drew myself next to a church building in Thailand, holding a Bible and teaching little children. There was a considerable silence as I shared my dream- not that of awe or awkwardness, but more of an inability to relate.

While their lives revolve around weekend golf, clubbing, drinking, smoking, earning lots of money and looking to "make it big", my lifestyle as a committed church leader is incompatible and incomprehensible.

In their game of glitz and glamour, I am an anomaly.

"You are the light of the world... Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:14,16

Today one of my "Christian" colleagues commented over lunch that he considered me the model Christian he could never quite be. Cell groups every Friday night? He would much rather be out having a drink with friends. When I explained what the purpose of cell group was, my non-Christian colleague could not understand why I would want to share my private thoughts and feelings to a group of random people whom might not be trustworthy.

Another colleague asked me during a training session later in the afternoon if I would sell my body for a million bucks a la Indecent Proposal, if I had a family to feed and bills to pay. He tried to convince me that desperate times call for desperate measures, while I shared with him how I sincerely believed that if I were ever to find myself in such a position, I would simply get on my knees and pray for God to provide. And that He has, time and again, proven His faithfulness in my life.

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience..." - 1 Peter 3:15-16a

I am mindful of the fact not to be preachy - the last thing I want is to be over-principled and self-righteous. But when they ask me for my stand, I see it my duty to share my convictions with them.

My heart is heavy at a world that does not recognize Christ as Lord and see the message of the cross as foolishness. How do I share Christ with a group of people whose worlds are their oysters?

But if not me, who will go?



Link to this entry | 1 commented.

<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13835952\x26blogName\x3dLittle+Superhero+Girl\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://treeschar.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://treeschar.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3350957289009283493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Back to main page

Female. Singaporean
Traveller. Bookworm.
Coffee Addict.
Amateur Photographer.
Wannabe Fashionista.
Museum Geek.

View my profile