Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Up the Kokoda memorial trail walk 



Zhiying and I go a long way back. We were best friends in our first year of high school.

She often invited me to her place after school to hang out, and I loved going over even though she lived on the other side of Singapore. I remember the time I stayed at a chalet with her family and we spent a lot of time at the beach, looking out for little holes in the sand to catch baby crabs. We also went on a Geography trip together to Hawaii- it was my first time on an airplane and I got sick and spewed all over myself.

But my favourite story is how her family was one of the first in Singapore to have internet access, and she came into class one day and told me excitedly that I could actually go on the computer and get information about the Backstreet Boys. Being a 12 year-old teenybopper, I was amazed and got very excited. Now this was the era of the 28.8k dial-up modem, and I just had to go to hers the very afternoon to log onto the website. I was disappointed because I didn't have enough time to finish viewing the whole website, but imagine my delight when Z came into school the next day and handed me a thick wad of printed paper. She had printed out the ENTIRE website for me so that I could read through it! Hehehe... Thank God for the advent of technology. ;)

We lost touch for more than 10 years in between, but were reconnected via Facebook. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that she was coming to Melbourne for a visit, so we decided to meet up for dinner, which led to a later day trip to Mount Dandy and a hike up the Kokoda memorial trail walk. The four of us got on like a house on fire, and we found out all these crazy coincidences between E and her fiance D- they both grew up and studied in the same neighbourhood (D's mum literally lives down the road from where E lives now!), played the violin, studied and became fluent in Japanese, worked in Japan for a period of time and have fathers who are retired scientists!

I can't wait for their wedding here in August! :)

Labels: , , , , ,



Link to this entry | 1 commented.

<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13835952\x26blogName\x3dLittle+Superhero+Girl\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://treeschar.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://treeschar.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3350957289009283493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Back to main page

Female. Singaporean
Traveller. Bookworm.
Coffee Addict.
Amateur Photographer.
Wannabe Fashionista.
Museum Geek.

View my profile