Friday, September 18, 2009
The constant battle in my head 


I am hooked on armchair shopping.

It is embarrassing, because I made a promise to myself that I would only buy the absolute essentials here in Melbourne. And I stuck to it for my first few months here- all my money went into rent, food, transport, school and the occasional social event. I managed to avoid shopping altogether, walking past countless boutiques in the city with my head held high, proud of my resolve. It helped that I didn't have a job and was living off my savings, watching my bank statement deplete itself day after day was enough to depress me.

But then my cheapo $15 black flats from Rubi that I wore everyday to school really started falling apart, and I can't possibly wear the four other pairs of high heels around campus (don't ask me what I was thinking when packing my suitcase), so I realized it was time to buy a new pair. And because I have my casual waitressing job and teaching practicum lined up, it gave me a very good reason to invest in a decent pair of comfy shoes.

I went to the DFO (Duty Free Outlet) mall on Spencer Street, but everything was either too expensive (on my pathetic student budget), too big (I am the tiny Asian girl here) or too ugly (there is a reason why it's in an outlet mall instead of the actual store).

Eventually, I gave up and started looking online instead.


And I can't tell you how excited I was when I found this pair of brand-new leather ballet flats imported from Brazil for the unbelievable price of A$29.00! I quickly placed a bid, and was even more pleased when I got an email a few hours later saying that I had won the bid. Plus shipping, the shoes only cost me $36.50, compared to the $265.00 it would have retailed for in the stores!

Can anyone say BARGAIN?

But then I started making a mental list of all the things that It could find on eBay that would make my life complete. The book I have been hunting for at the used bookstore, another pair of flats to alternate my new flats with, a leather jacket to replace the one I have been wearing for three years which is coming apart at the seams, a mid-sized handbag that I could carry to school with my multiple book bags...

I have to stay away from eBay (until I win my brand-new Gola flats for $16.00 and vintage Aigner leather purse for $15.00).

Labels: , , ,



Link to this entry | 1 commented.

<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13835952\x26blogName\x3dLittle+Superhero+Girl\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://treeschar.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://treeschar.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3350957289009283493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Back to main page

Female. Singaporean
Traveller. Bookworm.
Coffee Addict.
Amateur Photographer.
Wannabe Fashionista.
Museum Geek.

View my profile