Friday, October 2, 2009
Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle 


Baby don't you cry, gonna make a pie
Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
Baby don't be blue, gonna make for you
Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
Gonna make a pie from heaven above
Gonna be filled with strawberry love
Baby don't you cry, gonna make a pie
And hold you forever in the middle of my heart...

- From the movie "Waitress"

For my first month in Melbourne, I lived with E's family in Carnegie and his mum is an amazing cook. She would prepare the most elaborate meals in every cuisine you could imagine, and his dad had a huge store of wines under the house so we would polish off a bottle between the four of us every night.

"Why would we ever need to eat out if we can get this at home every night?" his dad would tell me with a glint of pride in his eyes. I had to agree.

After I moved out on my own, I made a resolution to learn how to cook so that I would never have to resort to 2-minute noodles or instant meals. It helped that my new place came with a fully-equipped kitchen (and a few donations from E!).

I started really slow and simple, but as I gained confidence I started experimenting with the ingredients and using more elaborate methods.

So far I've made Indian rogan josh mutton curry, Vietnamese spicy beef stew, Mexican fajita pork strips and chilli con carne, Italian creamy mushroom risotto (which was a bit of failure), Irish shepherd's pie and Asian lemon chicken with stir-fry vegetables.

I even ventured into baking! I made an orange and poppyseed cake the other day and fed a few of my classmates with it, and I decided to bake a batch of nutty honey joys this afternoon.

Homemade nutty honey joys

It's never too late to start learning, and my mother would be so proud of me!

Labels: , , , ,



Link to this entry | 0 commented.

<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13835952\x26blogName\x3dLittle+Superhero+Girl\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://treeschar.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://treeschar.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3350957289009283493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Back to main page

Female. Singaporean
Traveller. Bookworm.
Coffee Addict.
Amateur Photographer.
Wannabe Fashionista.
Museum Geek.

View my profile