Sunday, April 29, 2007
Let's talk about life and money 


I think I might be temporarily cured from my shopaholism.

I'll admit that I've only really spring cleaned my room once or twice since I moved into my current apartment 5-6 years ago, which means I have a lot of junk accumulated.

Having been packing my life into boxes for the past 2 weeks, I am still not done- the more I try to pack, the bigger a mess it becomes and I force myself to throw away a lot of things that I previously regarded as keepsake. What's the point?

It almost made me realize how much money I spend on things I don't need or use, and the guilt worsens when I cannot think of another person to pass it on to.

So when I am out shopping now I buy only neccessities to bring with me to Tokyo, like suitcases and coats and work shoes. Everything else just seems like such a waste of money and space.

Also, most people don't know this but my relocation to Tokyo is completely self-funded. The cost of my work visa, air ticket and accomodation comes from my own pocket and the school acts only as an guarantor for me.

I am hired on a normal teacher's salary (although Berlitz is the most prestigious and highest paying language center) and in fact it comes up to less than what I was getting at Bloomberg after working in the bonus.

Considering the fact that Tokyo is also twice as expensive to live in than Singapore and that I now have to pay for rent, utilities, groceries and household items, frugal is the new me.

This means no more chi-chi meals and overpriced coffee, no more cab rides when I don't feel like public transport, no more bulk buying of books at Borders or two new dresses every week.

Not to mention the fact that P flies here on the 9th and Hilde on the 10th and I want to save as much as I can so that we can do more stuff and eat better food!

I am also trying to prepare for my new life there by learning how to cook simple meals, being punctual for all meetings and learning to clean up after myself. Other things I want to accomplish when I move to Tokyo includes laundry, mastering the Tokyo subway lines, getting a cellphone, opening a bank account, finding an apartment and finding a new social circle.

Don't you laugh at me.

Labels: , , ,



Link to this entry | 0 commented.

<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13835952\x26blogName\x3dLittle+Superhero+Girl\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://treeschar.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://treeschar.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-3350957289009283493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Back to main page

Female. Singaporean
Traveller. Bookworm.
Coffee Addict.
Amateur Photographer.
Wannabe Fashionista.
Museum Geek.

View my profile